Monday, December 28, 2009

A Post-Christmas Pulse

Constant Reader, I hope that you enjoyed Christmas and wish you a Happy New Year. Hannah is home from NYC with Ivan and we had them over for Christmas dinner with Marcia's father and the boys. A pleasant time was had by all--as nearly as I could tell.



If one is a writer, one must, at some point, write. So now that the semester is over, I am taking a few days off between the holidays to familiarize myself with a keyboard. I have a poem in mind and also hope to spend time with my novel. Perhaps you can imagine what my New Year's resolutions include, but more of that anon. Without being maudlin, I can say that 2009 was not the best of years––though we are happy to have survived it––and we are hoping for better things in 2010. Our largest concern at this point is with the health of older relatives––parents, aunts, etc. One wants all to be well, but the past several months have been particularly difficult, and it is unlikely that we will get through the coming year without one or more losses.



As a result of the holidays, I have several new books to read, including Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life by Carol Sklenicka (Scribner, 2009), The Talented Miss Highsmith: The Secret Life and Serious Art of Patricia Highsmith by Joan Schenkar (St. Martins's Press, 2009) and Dorothea Lange: A Life Beyond Limits by Linda Gordon (W.W. Norton, 2009).

I love to read the biographies of writers and artists when I feel I am at the limits of my own tether as a writer, and I am looking forward to these. I am about 200 pages into the Carver biography. So far, the review by Stephen King in the New York Times Book Review (which I thought rather cruel when I read it––King was critical of Carver's personal excesses, not of the book) seems more than fair.



I also received some Christmas cigars, including, to my delight, two Cohiba Esplendidos from Uncle Fidel, which promise excellent smoking as we head into the New Year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Virgin In The Volcano said...

Sorry to hear that things have been so rough, but all best wishes to you and your family for the new year.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Cindy Hunter Morgan said...

Sending wishes for a good year ahead. You have a great selection of books, and that is a fine start.

10:36 AM  
Blogger goodeda1122 said...

自慰套,真愛密碼,
自慰套,自慰器,充氣娃娃,
性感丁字褲,AV,按摩棒,電動按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,
角色扮演,吊帶襪,丁字褲,飛機杯,
按摩棒,變頻跳蛋,跳蛋,無線跳蛋,G點,
潤滑液,SM,情趣內衣,內衣,性感內衣,
情趣用品,情趣,

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home