Friday, September 04, 2009

Questions of Marketing



I have often read about how clever Amazon is with its purchasing records---how the company has programs that can predict what you might be interested in buying based upon your history as a customer.

Given my purchasing record, why would the gurus at Amazon think I want to order an advance copy of Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol?

I have nothing against Dan Brown--other than that his books are, you know, blasphemy and stuff and he's pro'lly going to burn in the 7th Circle of H-E-L-L--but I am not one of his readers. Based upon my somewhat loopy purchasing history, Amazon should be notifying me that they have a hot new monograph available on "The Mycology of Post-Volcanic, Inter-montane Guatemala."

_____________________

Above: Dore's depiction of Dante and Virgil searching for mushrooms near the 7th Circle.

Note: Lately, I find it impossible to write a cogent sentence before I've had a sufficient dose of caffeine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

What amazon never seems to know is what books I buy for gifts and which I buy for myself. So their recommendations are sometimes way off.

But then again, Amazon is also the company that recommended my very own book to me in an email blast, so yeah. That.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Yes, Amazon gets confused. If I've bought one of YOUR books on Amazon, it will get them confused with All American Mafioso by Charles Rappleye and recommend The Godfather to me.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

There's also certain "big" titles that sellers push because they pre-ordered huge quantities. I would bet Dan Brown's new book is one of those titles.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home