Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Progress Notes



I have not been spending all of my time designing cryptically worded T-shirts. I have also been working along on my novel, and am now up to 135 pages. I think it is good--perhaps better than good––but assuming I can add 15,000-20,000 words fleshing out the narrative, I will still have a somewhat short book.

I think I need a subplot.

I do have the voices. I have been listening to these characters in my head for a long time, and they are tumbling out readily onto the page.

My diversions have been fighting the Battle of Walden Green (you could have guessed that) and entertaining Hannah and her Argentinean boyfriend Ivan (pronounced "E-van"), who were in town last week from NYC. We had a great time with them, and we very much like Ivan.

I have little hope that Walden Green, under its reactionary, secretive "the Beloved Leader's way or else" form of governance, will be a good place for Liam and Carlos this fall. We will probably start them there in September, but if everything goes as I anticipate it will, we will pull them out and enroll them elsewhere before "count day" in October, when state education money is allocated according to the number of students in each school.

If all else fails, vote with your feet and take the money with you, I always say.

What a disaster.

_________________

Photo of Evan and Hannah, taken Sunday night.

7 Comments:

Blogger Collin Kelley said...

Please pass to Hannah that she is a VERY lucky girl. :)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Collin:

Oh, I'm very aware. Ivan reminds me, every day and quite audibly, of how lucky I am. But thank you :)

Dad:

Isn't it more like, we entertained YOU? Anyway, you're very sweet for putting that up. Love.

9:48 AM  
Blogger isabel_londono said...

Dear friend, as I always had considered you one (at least at WG). Please don't give up. Those of us who remained at WG need the parents support to keep Jean's and Tom's work of so many years alive. Sometimes things don't work out just the way we want them to, but if we keep working at them we get what we need. We need WG to be a Montessori school. We need to focus on what really matters: your children's education. Carlos and Liam deserve the best and the best we can provide with your support, your kindness and your trust. I am certain that our work ethics are still the same as they were before, and we, the staff, are a 100% commited to the Montessori method and your children.
Sincerely.
Isabel Allen

6:06 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Isabel:

Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments.

We haven't made any decisions about anything a this point, and we will continue to work for what is best at Walden Green. We entirely agree with you––the school should continue as a Montessori learning environment in which the vision of Jean and Tom are held sacred and enhanced.

Neither Marcia nor I have questioned the commitment of the teaching staff to these ideals, or the ability of the teachers to advance the Walden Green ethos if given adequate support and encouragement from the Board and the Administration.

9:35 PM  
Blogger jrbeebe176 said...

Dear Rappleye family,
I know that you are very upset about the things that have transpired at Walden Green. I can assure you that those of us who remain (almost all of us are still there, by the way) are totally committed to not only to all the children but to the Montessori method. Tom and Jean did a masterful job in showing us all how it is done. There are 11 trained Montessori staff remaining that hold the philosophy of Maria Montessori very very dear. Your two boys will receive the best in education just as they always have. There is no where else that can compare to the loving, peaceful, and innovative education that Walden Green offers. Jean is a wonderful teacher just as those of us who remain are. We ask for your trust to do what we all do best and that is TEACH.
Your friend,
Becca
See you in the car line on the first day of school.

10:32 PM  
Blogger marcia said...

Becca:

Thank you for your comment. Once again, we have great confidence in the teaching staff at Walden Green. We have never questioned their dedication to the education and best interests of the students.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

why did you give me such a big freaking head?

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home