Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Progress Notes



I am fifty pages into the novel. I've made good progress this week, for as busy as I've been with other obligations.

Writing fiction is quite a different task from poetry (he said, after fifty pages of experience). I am concentrating on plot, character and dialogue in this first draft, essentially following the format suggested by Walter Mosley in This Year You Write Your Novel (Little Brown & Company, 2009).

The largest difficulty has been Mosley's command to work on the novel every day, but I am doing my best.

Once I have a draft, I will go back and rewrite what I have into what I hope will be "art"--or a reasonable simulacrum thereof.

Onward.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Campbell said...

Good luck, Greg! It's a noble exercise.

Right now I'm reading Jack Kerouac's The Subterraneans, which he wrote (purportedly) in three days.

Ah well. Didn't mean to rub it in. That one looks like a good book for those of us who (apparently) weren't born to it.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Collin Kelley said...

As a fellow novelist, I can tell you that working on the manuscript every day is not practical. Sometimes you have to let the plot and direction marinate for a day or two before you come back to it.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home