Saturday, May 09, 2009

A Remark on "The Mainstream"



I plead "no contest" to the charge that I am a "mainstream" poet. I feel no need to respond with more than two questions to the allegation, even when made with a condescending sneer.

I only ask, Can you find the river I fish in?

If so, are you poet enough to stand against the current?

Enough of this tiny, self-indulgent mourning. I have a novel to write.


___________________________

The image on the poster is “Evening Fishing” (1989) by Russell Chatham.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Sometimes I suspect "mainstream" is code for "your poems actually make sense, whereas mine are full of exploding underpants." I have very little patience with poetry that stridently tries to be avant garde, difficult to the point of emptiness. I'll take fullness and mainstream any day.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Who said that??

3:08 PM  
Blogger Macy Swain said...

yeah, like Sara said. Enough with the exploding underpants already. Give me a damn good poem about a hummingbird.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home