Saturday, April 04, 2009

Why I Have Gone Back to Meetings


I needed to read this:

So I have to ask myself, what am I willing to lose for this relapse? Am I willing to lose my husband? My job? The small world of good friends and neighbors I have created around me? My self-respect when I look in the mirror and realize I have to climb once more from the depths of addiction? Relapsing might come easy, but how many recoveries do I have in me? That’s why I’m giving up on the top five relapse pass — even the time-traveling, body-swapping Hunter S. Thompson relapse fantasy. Because, when the weasels close in, I am way better equipped to handle them sober.

I recently saw Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film (2006), the documentary about The Good Doctor in life and in death. Anyone suffering from "euphoric recall" will want to pay careful attention to the emptiness in Thompson's eyes near the end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Brilliantly stated and most eloquent! Thank you for sharing this.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home