Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Status Report



I just watched "In the Electric Mist," a new film that went straight to DVD based on James Lee Burke's "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead." Tommy Lee Jones is the perfect Dave Robichaux (the protagonist in Burke's series, for those unfamiliar), but otherwise there isn't much of interest in the film.

Tomorrow is the last day of class for the semester. I'll be collecting portfolios, and will then have ten days to submit grades. Perhaps the best thing about the end of the semester is that I will have an opportunity to clean out my car, which has devolved into a rolling file box, locker room, bookcase and four-wheel-drive trash masher. I suspect this is a common problem among adjunct faculty.

Tonight we have rain and the strong possibility that it will be mixed with snow. By Friday, the weather is supposed to be sunny and in the mid-seventies. When this weather is mixed with our sterling economy, it's no wonder that half the people in Michigan are crazier than those proverbial outhouse rats.

A good portion of the remaining populace, of course, is heavily medicated.

Today I also ordered the "new" books by W.S. Merwin and Ruth Stone. I already have Frank Bidart's latest--so I will at last have all of this year's Pulitzer finalists.

Onward.

3 Comments:

Blogger CHAD said...

I'm glad to hear that the film was well received, Tommy Lee Jones and John Goodman are both brilliant.

8:50 PM  
Blogger friberg said...

Ruth Stone is such an interesting woman and poet--her story, her work.
She scares me a little--me being a somewhat timid midwesterner and she I think a more open minded and open hearted Vermonter more hardily bred, and most importantly and quite happily I think she may still have pinkish hair....
lovely.

11:30 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Yes, I love me some Ruth Stone!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home