Thursday, April 02, 2009

Displacement by Leslie Harrison




The very best part of the day was going to my mailbox this morning and finding an Advance Reading Copy of Leslie Harrison's Displacement (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt /Mariner Books, 2009), which was selected by Eavan Boland as 2008 winner of the prestigious Bread Loaf Writers' Conference Bakeless Prize.

In a lovely and insightful introductory essay to Displacement, Boland writes: "There is a poise and presence about this book--and a poignance about its traffic between secrecy and disclosure--that allows it to have unusual force, and a true grip on its reader. This is a real lyric journey: and the reader will take it too."

I scanned through the book over lunch, and was knocked out by these poems. I can't wait to spend some serious time with this book, and I will definitely have more to say about Leslie and her work.

Displacement is already available for order on Amazon, and I am sure your local bookstore would also be happy to order it. The publication date is (if memory serves me) set for mid-July.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

This is a poet I have never heard of, Gre - so look forward to reading it in July. I will let you know when I have read the poems.

3:18 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Leslie is one of my blogger-friends. She lives in Western Massachusetts and blogs at "Always Winter."

3:24 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I'm glad you got the book, Greg. For a minute, walking away from the post office, I was convinced I'd sent you my taxes and the IRS a book.

About which they would NOT have been amused.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Eduardo C. Corral said...

her book is out? yeah! going to amazon now.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home