Monday, March 02, 2009

Kindle 2?


I buy a lot of books and love the "bookness" of books. I like the way they feel, the way the paper smells––I am, let's face it, a book addict. At the retinologists on Friday, however, we spoke with a woman who has a Kindle 1, and she spoke highly of it. This was the first time I've seen one "in action," so to speak––and yes, it was before my eyes were dilated,* after which I saw nothing very well.

I was impressed by the Kindle, particularly by the clarity of the screen and, for reasons that may be obvious, by the fact that the reader could easily enlarge the type size. I doubt very much that most of the books I buy will be readily available on Kindle anytime soon––if ever!––but it seemed like an attractive, and relatively inexpensive, option for buying more commercially accessible texts.

Does anyone out there have any experiece with the Kindle (1 or 2)?

Any thoughts?

_________________

* I originally spelled this "dialated." Great. Now I spell like George Bush speaks!

8 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Hutchison said...

a) What happens if you drop it on the kitchen floor, or (how to put this delicately...) in the commode
b) What happens if you want to read a book of poems by a writer like Rae Armantrout instead of the latest Stephenie Meyer vampire opus?
c) What happens if you want to lend your book to someone without a Kindle?
d) What happens if the book you want to read has color illustrations?

Etcetera. And I haven't even talked about the often glorious feel and smell of paper...!

7:57 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Good points.

Quite an expensive splash, I suppose, commode-wise.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

For what it's worth, I just checked and Robert Hass's Time and Materials is available in a "Kindle edition" (just to show that at least one "mainstream" poetry book is available). I read an article recently arguing that the main (and legitimate) selling point of the Kindle, at least for aging baby boomers with aging eyes, IS going to be precisely the ability to enlarge the print. I have no personal Kindle experience, though (and you're right about Rae Armantrout).

12:27 AM  
Blogger Macy Swain said...

All the old technologies are changing and/or fading and I guess we have to tuck our various griefs into our pockets and adjust...I'm so crushed that the Rocky Mt. News is gone and even the SF Chronicle might be next -- the act of holding paper with words on it in my hands is beginning to feel elegiac. But...one of my most literate friends, who loves books, got a Kindle for Christmas and, despite all the possibilities of depression about it, turns out to really love it and is singing its praises. So -- elegy to praise in one paragraph. I have yet to try it myself.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Adam Deutsch said...

I don't have one, but I want one. Not for books of Poetry. NEVER for a book of poetry. But definitely for periodicals, newspapers, and journals. Considering so many journals have gone to web format, I'd rather read them on e-ink than on my computer screen.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Collin Kelley said...

A friend of mine has one and let me fiddle with it for awhile. I have to admit that I like it. The screen was easy to read and I liked being able to hit the big tab button and see the page "turn." My novel is going to be available as a download on Kindle so I'm totally embracing the format. I think it could work for poetry eventually, but for now it works best with novels and periodicals.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Happyflower said...

I am just too old fashioned for such a thing. There is nothing like a brand new fresh book feel.

But I am an odd bird...

11:26 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Not that I would fish a book out of a commode and continue to read its soggy pages without a care, but there's something about turning a page that's incomparable.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home