Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Moment with Joseph Stroud



THE OTHERS, O LORD, FOR MY TIME HAS NOT YET COME

In a room of the Prado many people stop to gaze
at Breughel's The Triumph of Death, a window
into the nightmare of plague––a great battlefield
where Death's legions begin the massacres.
Like everyone, I search for myself among the living,
the ones fleeing, among those trying to escape the canvas.

_______________________________
From Of this World: New and Selected Poems, by Joseph Stroud,
Copper Canyon Press (2009).



I bought this excellent book at the AWP Conference, after recommendations from Dan Gerber and Rick Bursky. I had never previously heard of Joseph Stroud, and now I think he is one of America's greatest living poets.

The cover--a painting by Martin Johnson Heade--is entirely coincidental to my analysis.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

I have never heard of Joseph Stroud either - but have made a note and shall look him up after I sign off.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Happyflower said...

:-) Yay, I need something to read that is NOT psychology related, (well I guess everything is psych related) but not that nonfiction stuff they stuff you with in college! haha!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Andrew Christ said...

Greg - great to meet you in Chicago last week. I've got Joseph Stroud's "Below Cold Mountain" in my "Current" stack of library books. Haven't read much yet. Found it listed in the Copper Canyon Press catalog.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Rex Walton said...

A poet-friend in the area here had a couple of Stroud poems -- sent them to me (from Below cold Mountain) they were short, small, but evidently optically illusive -- once one went in, the room of six lines opened into sort of a poptent of illustration: a whole display of some tiny country of imagination -- something I get from few poets (Larry Levis is one), so I bought the book -- entrancingly quiet and full of hopeful direction

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home