Friday, January 09, 2009

Sound of the Great Horned Owl



It's been a year since I saw him, but this morning when I took the dogs out, our Great Horned Owl was calling, a tremulous "who-oo-hoo-hoo, who-who?"* deep in the wood lot. I had to come back in the house and look up recordings of owl calls on the web to identify him as a male Great Horned.

I've been very busy at my day job this week and also started class (it went well), which is why I haven't posted much.

I do have a few things to say, however, and will catch up this weekend.

________________________

*This roughly translates as "Get those damn dogs out of my trees."

2 Comments:

Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

What wouldn't I give, Greg, to see a great horned owl - wonderful photo. Sure your translation of his call is correct!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Happyflower said...

I love owl's and most all birds. Maybe it is I wish I could fly or something?

I saw one of these "in town" beside the St. Joe River when I was a young adult, and I remember just holding my breath, I was in total awe.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home