Saturday, January 17, 2009

Andrew Wyeth (1917-2009)



I can't work completely out of my imagination. I must put my foot in a bit of truth; and then I can fly free.

-Andrew Wyeth



For 15 years, from 1970 to 1985, Wyeth had labored in secret on an enormous collection of works: 246 in all, including sketches, studies, drawings, 32 watercolors, twelve drybrush paintings and five temperas. Not even his wife was aware of the magnitude of the undertaking. Moreover, almost all of them were of a middle-aged German whom Wyeth identified only as Helga and who lived near the Wyeths' winter home in Chadds Ford, Pa. Artist and model met in various places over the years, and the resulting works, many of them nudes, are streaked with an intensity both clinical and erotic. Here was the hidden treasure of a major artist -- the most hallowed member of America's reigning art dynasty -- displaying new vigor late in his career.

-Time Magazine, August 18, 1986



Andrew Wyeth, "Lovers," (1981)

3 Comments:

Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

I read an interesting obituary of his life in The Times, Greg - I must say that I had never heard of him, so now I shall seek out some of his work.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Collin Kelley said...

One of my favorite artists. I had the opportunity to see his work up and close and in a private viewing at the High Museum in Atlanta a few years ago. The work is so beautiful and haunting.

6:31 PM  
Blogger friberg said...

I've just stumbled upon your blog, Greg and am happy to find it. I feel a kindred spirit.
I have had complicated feelings about Wyeth for the long time...I've been haunted by him in a way that's not as deep as it is by Hopper, but still serious because I was drawn to him when I was young and admiring of his spare barns and beds and Helga mysteries. He seemed to know my sensibility.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home