Sunday, December 14, 2008

Red Beans and Rice


Prompted by some leftover ham from the office Christmas Party, I made a big (like, huge) pot of red beans and rice and we've been eating it for two days now. Delicious, if I say so myself. I learned how to cook this dish in Chalmette, Louisiana; perhaps the single most valuable thing I learned in 1988.

Low budget cooking is a great skill. Unless the Great Writers' Bailout happens quickly, we'll be eating like this for a long time to come.

Not to fear, Roosevelt. I am also working on a new poem. There's big money in that, for sure.


_______________________

NOTE: The photograph is illustrative; this isn't my red beans and rice. For example, I don't use green peppers or green onions, opting instead for sweet white onions and a bit of fresh cilantro for color.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home