Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Winter



Winter weather is not that much fun to drive in. Yesterday, we received 4 or 5 inches of lake-effect snow, much of which melted and then froze on the road surface. Coming down off the highway, I did a 360 degree turn on the Ferrysburg ramp--in the dark--, trying to avoid sliding into the cars that (in varying degrees of catawump-itude) had already come to a stop at the bottom of the hill. Somehow, I avoided all the cars, two sets of guardrails, and the ditch, and received a free carnival ride for my efforts.

5 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

Wow. Glad you're safe. We got some of that snow, and it is definitely cold here. I experienced my first slick-road, snowy ride to my new school this morning. It's too soon for all of this.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

catawump-itude is a very funny word. Sometimes you drive the car, sometimes the road does.

I'm glad it ended well.

I usually find the first month of winter the hardest—the highway department is not on its best game yet and we are still remembering those winter driving skills (control in an uncontrolled situation, for instance). After that, it gets easier, I hope.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Diane K. Martin said...

Oh, I wanted to comment on catawump-itude too! Maybe w/o the hyphen?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Yow!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Nin Andrews said...

Yes, I got back from Florida to a snow storm--took me a long time to get home--occasionally a car would zip by only to glide into a ditch. I am not a Florida fan usually, but I am seeing the appeal . . .

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home