Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Back in the Black

School resumed today, and my students had many interesting stories about the unplanned break from class occasioned by the norovirus. I will have to slightly revise my syllabus, but we should cover everything we are supposed to cover before the end of the term. I always build a secret "fudge factor" into the schedule; I just never tell the students about it unless absolutely necessary.

I am very busy in my day job. My working conditions are great and I like the people I work with, but there is a great deal of work being done by one lawyer (uhmm, me) representing an 1,100 employee public corporation responsible for the delivery of public services (law enforcement, public health, mental health, employment training, justice, etc.) to a population exceeding 250,000. I am not complaining, mind you. It is useful work, and for the moment, I have some job security and a paycheck in a very bad economy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

All good things-fudge factors, job security, interesting work.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Diane Lockward said...

I love a good old fudge factor.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

Yep. Job security is nice. I was thinking today, as I hung pretty polka-dot ribbon on the bulletin board, how lucky I am to be paid to do all of this. The job that really pays the bills, however, (my husband's vulnerable capitalist-funded one) not so much.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Happyflower said...

brains and creativity, what a stud you are! ;-)

1:11 AM  
Blogger maeve63 said...

Every person no matter how well they like, and are thankful for, their job has those days when they just want to say "blah". It's ok to be human, ya know? :-)

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home