Sunday, November 09, 2008

Attack of the Norovirus!


Hope College was shut down by order of the Health Department at 1 p.m. on Friday because of a norovirus outbreak on campus. As of Friday afternoon, approximately 120 students had become sick. We won't begin holding classes again until Tuesday morning, at the earliest, which means that I won't be teaching on Monday. For me, this is a considerable bother rather than an unexpected holiday--for my poetry class to function it is important that we stay on schedule. We do not have much flexibility.

The norovirus is a nasty thing, but not life threatening.

The story is here.

I am praying that all of my students (past and present) stay well.

In my attorney-job, I represent the Health Department, so this made for an interesting couple of days.

Since I do not have to prepare for class, I am going to work on a poem.

6 Comments:

Blogger Charmi said...

I know students are always praying for ways to get out of school, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of the more popular prayers.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I still don't know what the hell norovirus is.

2:12 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Hannah:

It is basically "the stomach flu."

Vomiting, cramps and barfalonis of the blowhole, cha, cha, cha.

It is very contagious but lasts only a couple of days.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Andrew Shields said...

I hope you stay well!

Just a few minutes, I was reading the letters in the NYRB (Nov. 20 issue, predated, of course), and there was a letter from a professor of Religion at Hope College.

All I could think was, "Who is it I know who is there or was there or something like that?"

Then I just read your post and thought, "It was Greg I was thinking of, of course!"

3:47 PM  
Blogger Macy Swain said...

Barfalonis of the Blowhole? Wasn't that a heavy metal group in the Eighties?

4:08 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

You can all keep your norovirus up there in Holland. I've had several students (at least 2 a week) for the last several weeks out a few days at a time...hmmm.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home