Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Stop the Voices! No More Political Noise, Please!



In the first days of November, 2004, I reached the point of rhetorical overload--a place where I could no longer listen to National Public Radio on my way to work. So I picked up a CD of Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits and sang--not so well, but yes, sang--my way through election day. For whatever reason, I have reached the point of political exhaustion a week earlier in this cycle. I can no longer listen to NPR, and do not even want to listen to myself singing with Frank. My friends, as someone might say, the day that I no longer want to listen to myself singing...

Anyway, I bought Impressions, a CD of the late cellist Jacqueline Du Pre playing The Elgar Cello Concerto in E minor, the Haydn Cello Concerto in C, and two pieces by Beethoven. I don't pretend to know all that much about classical music, but I do like this.

The cello is the sexiest of the instruments. And from the days (long ago) when I was a kid and she was written up in TIME magazine, I've had a thing for Jacqueline Du Pre. The quality of my drive-time has wildly improved and the only voices I now hear are whispering in my head.

Which is, you know, okay.

7 Comments:

Blogger maeve63 said...

I'm no expert but I do enjoy classical. This time of year it becomes escpecially nice for me. I really enjoy curling up with a book, a blanky, and a hot cup of tea while playing something classical (perhaps Bach) in the background. And ooo... to complete the mood a nice cinnamon and apple candle :) comfey.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Macy Swain said...

I totally agree with you about the cello, Greg. Thanks for the suggestion to listen to Jacqueline DuPre. Did you see/hear Yo Yo Ma on the Colbert Report the other night? Quite entertaining, though the piece they offered from his new collection sounds rather dissonant. But he's such a sweetie.

I tried listening to the BBC late at night to get away from the political news, but even that has gotten untenable. Too much Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, and, well, cricket.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I got to the arg stage with politics weeks ago. I've decided that NPR might be the devil. And I think our election season should be about 30 seconds long.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Brian Campbell said...

Get Jacqueline Dupre playing Schumann's cello concerto (Daniel Beremboim conducting). It's heart-rending. (Depending of course, on your mood.)

Maybe the reason the cello affects us so is that it replicates the range of the human voice (bass to soprano). Do you know Mercedes Sosa? Her voice is a human cello. My favourite album of hers: "La Mamancy".

I can relate to election exhaustion. Besides following this jittery American election, we've had a National election up here. And now my province is getting ready to call an election, for December!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Diane K. Martin said...

Greg, do you know Robert Thomas's poem in the voice of Jacqueline DuPre? If you don't, you should!

9:29 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:07 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Brian:

Mercedes Sosa!

I love Mercedes Sosa!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home