Friday, October 03, 2008

A Poem I Didn't Write

I received a Google Alert for my name today and found that one of "my" poems was included in an online anthology titled (as nearly as I can tell), For Godot: Research in Poetry--Issue 1, a 3,785 page pdf document "edited" (or rather, "researched") by three people I don't know named Vladimir Zykov, Steve McLaughlin, and Gregory Laynor.

Here is the poem which is attributed to me on page 3,498 of this document:


Bonnie Winds and Fair Twists

Adored
Like a bird
Like a bonnie wind
To depart left and permission
To perceive velvet and hubbub
To leave forgiving for a right
To leave a privilege of bushes
To stir growing scope

Greg Rappleye

I don't mind someone posting one of my actual poems on their blog or website--as long as it is attributed to me--in fact, I am generally honored to see that someone cares enough about my work to make such an effort and, perhaps, say a kind word.

However, I do object to having my name associated with a steaming turd like "Bonnie Winds and Fair Twists."

For the record: I did not write this poem, did not authorize the use of my name in association with this poem, and I have never heard of these people or their bizarre project. Could I lift a 3,785 page "online anthology," I would drop it on their heads.

12 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I noticed that the other day while at Reb Livingston's blog.

http://www.forgodot.com/2008/09/coming-soon-on-forgodotcom.html

http://cacklingjackal.blogspot.com/2008/10/and-its-october.html#comments

9:36 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Maybe it's ANOTHER Greg Rappleye who prefers steaming turds.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

OMG!

If you googled sucky alleged poems, this should come up pretty darned high.

Bummer. How on earth did they come to attribute this caca to you?

9:09 AM  
Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

So pleased you didn't write the poem, Greg - it would have altered how I see you completely.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Susan Och said...

Fascinating. What use could there be in writing bad poetry and attributing it to a good poet? Did anyone else get the same treatment?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Susan Och said...

It seems to be one of those put-words-up-for-no-discernable-reason website. The comments are hilarious. They are actually claiming to be publishing new work from lots of famous dead guys, including Shakespeare and Confucius. You have lots of company.

If I were you, I would lodge a complaint with the major search engines. Sites can get kicked off Google, and these guys are prime candidates.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Karen J. Weyant said...

Hi Greg -- my name is on this list too, but I can't find the poem I "wrote" -- I'm not sure if I want to....

11:40 AM  
Blogger Susan Och said...

Also send a complaint to their domain provider: contact@privacyprotect.org.

I'm not sure how much good that last one will do, but I'd try it, mentioning that you are reporting the situation to the major search engines.

Privacy Protect is listed as their domain provider when you type their URL into a "whois" site.

If you replace "Bonnie Winds and Fair Twists" in the title line with "Steaming Turds", the whole package is significantly improved.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Here's Steve McLaughlin's Live Journal page

http://arsonisnoway.livejournal.com/

and his website: http://arsonism.org/

4:35 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

Is it flarf, culture jamming, a statement about the proliferation of poetry online? I'm actually stealing some of the lines from the "poem" they attributed to me and using them in another piece. Hey, they said I wrote it...

12:23 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Thank you all for your comments. I have no idea what the point of their exercise is or was. I doubt that I will respond further to the provocation, since getting a "response" seems to have largely been the point of the exercise. At least, I can't find any other purpose served by this.

I actually can't imagine anyone--let alone three or four people--having this sort of time on their hands and nothing worthwhile to do with it.

5:02 AM  
Blogger CHAD said...

So...

This won't be in your next book?

:)

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home