Sunday, September 07, 2008

A Little Help?


I am looking for books (or good essays) on Orpheus and Eurydice. I am not so much interested in other people's poetry ( a great deal of which I have--Gregory Orr, Louise Gluck, Rilke, etc.), as I am in work that considers the various myths and their implications. I recently acquired The Dream and the Underworld by James Hillman, but there isn't much in it about this. My particular focus (for a series of poems-in-progress) is on Orpheus after, and without, Eurydice, but I am interested in reading just about anything on the topic.

Any ideas?

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen J. Weyant said...

A friend gave me this website:

www.mythography.com

Look under Forums at this website--maybe there is something useful there?

Good Luck!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

It might not be just what you're looking for, but Allen Grossman has an essay called "Orpheus/Philomena: Subjection and Mastery in the Founding Stories of Poetic Production and in the Logic of Our Practice" in the WW anthology, Poets Teaching Poets.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Cindy Hunter Morgan said...

Last summer (2007), Glimmerglass Opera spent a season exploring different takes on the Orpheus myth. If you are hitting a wall, you could listen to a recording from the opera of Orpheus and Eurydice. Maybe it will unclog something! "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" is one of the famous pieces often played. What a great subject to explore!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Hey, Herc—don't hurt yourself with all those chains and pointy swords!

Do you know the book Gods and Mortals? It is an anthology of poems on classical myths. I seem to remember some orpheus/euridice stuff in there, though it has been awhile.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Jilly said...

I have some PDF articles I can email you if you want.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

For a different approach, you could watch Jean Cocteau's "Orpheus" on Criterion DVD. Cocteau is said to have written the following line in the film: "Mirrors are the doors through which death comes and goes. Look at yourself in a mirror all your life and you'll see death do its work."

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home