Sunday, September 21, 2008

The English Major



I spent most of the afternoon reading Jim Harrison's new novel, The English Major (Grove Press, 2008), which I picked up yesterday at The Bookman in Grand Haven. It is a very funny book and sad, too: a 60-ish, freshly divorced ex-teacher and failed farmer from Michigan goes on a western detour in his ramshackle Ford Taurus. The book is chock full of picaresque sex, diner food, and wry observations about life, aging and the state of our nation.

Once I start a Harrison novel, I cannot bring myself to put it down, and today old Jim saved me and my blood pressure from another woeful Detroit Lions game, who (rumor has it) lost to the San Francisco 49ers, 31-13.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy Hunter Morgan said...

And this is on my list. The title is sufficient enticement...but then, a new work by Harrison would intrigue me regardless of what he named it. I do appreciate good titles. Wallace Stevens has some of the best.

9:36 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

A good deal of this book is a tirade against the cell phone. That alone makes it worthwhile.

5:30 AM  
Blogger david dodd lee said...

Also a warning against overusing
one's "weenie" (Harrison's word).

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home