Sunday, September 14, 2008

David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)



I was saddened to learn of the death of David Foster Wallace, the novelist, essayist and humorist best known for his 1996 novel "Infinite Jest." Wallace was found dead Friday night at his home in Claremont, California.

He hanged himself.

Wallace, best known for his sprawling, funny, and strange 1996 novel "Infinite Jest," was 46.

His books also included "The Broom of the System," his 1987 debut novel; "Girl With Curious Hair," a 1989 collection of short stories, "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments" (1997) and "Oblivion" a short story collection published in 2004.

In 1997, he received a "genius grant" from the MacArthur Foundation.

I had never met David Foster Wallace. I had read "Infinite Jest" and his essay collection and enjoyed both.

May he rest in peace.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neil Kelly said...

Well that sucks. The man was way too young.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I fancied myself in love with that man.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home