Monday, August 25, 2008

Thought for the Day

Hannah and I have been talking about a short story she is working on; oddly enough, one involving a deer. And then at lunch I ran across this, which says everything I meant to say, but could not articulate:

"How lovely the simplicity with which Chekhov, deep inside his character's mind, does not say, 'He thought of the deer he had been reading about' or even 'He saw in his mind the deer he had been reading about,' but just calmly asserts that the deer 'ran past him.' "

-James Wood, How Fiction Works, Farrar, Straus & Giroux (2008), p. 61

-

1 Comments:

Blogger The Weaver of Grass said...

Economy of words! It is something I aim for in my poetry - but often the exact right word eludes me. I suppose one has to keep trying. Chekov said it just right.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home