Friday, August 29, 2008

So I Said, "Huh?"



Yes, I am astonished. I thought Michigan was a "battleground state." I expected John McCain to pick Mitt Romney as his Vice Presidential running mate. Sarah Palin won't help in Michigan, or anywhere else in the rustbelt. Her issues--as far as I know; I must admit, I know almost nothing about her--are the Second Amendment and drilling for oil in Alaska. Thanks, but we already have shot guns, deer rifles and hand guns. We are, in fact, quite heavily armed.* We also have gas stations in Michigan. Our problems are, we can't afford ammo and we can't afford gasoline. What we need and don't have are J-O-B-S. When McCain was campaigning in the Michigan primary, he basically--in fact, almost literally--said, "Tough luck, Michigan. Your jobs are gone and they aren't coming back."



That was not a popular message.**



Mitt Romney, son of former Michigan governor and one-time auto executive George Romney, at least talked about bringing J-O-B-S to Michigan.

Mitt was animated. He at least acted enthused.




_________________________



*The phrase, "More bullet holes than a Michigan stop sign" is not hyperbole. Ohio State may beat us in football; they would never dare invade.

**Times are tough. This is a photo of Carlos, me and Liam, racing to see who'll get the biggest slice of welfare cheese.

Poor little Liam. He always loses.

8 Comments:

Blogger Collin said...

She was a panic selection, but it proved what a hypocrite McSame truly is. He's been hammering away on Obama's inexperience then picks a running mate who has even less. And she's a pro-life, anti-gay, Christian right win gun-toter. Joe Biden will mop the floor with her bee-hive and Tina Fey will have a ball ripping her to shreds on SNL.

5:26 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

The choir says, "Amen!"

8:43 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Don't count poor little Liam out, he is drafting.

I've never actually laughed at that Arthur Rothstein photo before.

I met him once you know, it was pretty amazing to hear him talk about those years, those families.

Mitt was our Governer for awhile, and, just in case you were wondering, we pansy, candy-assed liberals in Massachusetts would NEVER invade Michigan either.

Mostly because we are such geography snobs, we couldn't actually find it without GPS. Sigh.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

As far as jobs in Michigan, I'd say Jennifer Granholm may have something to do with that. And I'd bet there are plenty of jobs there--just not the straight-out-of-high-school manufacturing jobs that pay well. Those are gone, and won't be coming back.

I just returned home from my bi-monthly grocery-getting trip and yes, each time I shop another of my regular products has gone up some. For example, I used to pay $5.99 for a 24-roll pack of Charmin. Now it's more like $7. But I hesitate to complain. It could be so much worse. And if we want gas, ammo, food, etc. to stay cheap, we're going to have to forfeit those jobs.

2:53 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Talia:

Well, you are right--Jennifer Granholm has been a major disappointment as governor.

2:57 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

But--

Michigan workers saved the world's chestnuts in WWII, and we contributed mightily to the prosperity America enjoyed in the five decades that followed. The people of this state--and the working people of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and Pennsylvania--deserve something more from a President of the United States than "tough luck!"

5:09 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

I completely agree with you, Greg. But thoses jobs, where you can go to straight from high school and be able support your family and have a pension to boot are nearly as gone as Studebaker itself. New jobs are constantly being created--think how EVERYONE has a cell phone, a home computer, an internet account--such things were few just 10 years ago.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Susan Och said...

Here's a link to a story I posted about the auto industry and my grandfather's role in its successes.

As for Palin, I'm wondering if one of my coworkers wasn't dead-on when he said "I guess McCain doesn't want to be president after all."

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home