Saturday, August 09, 2008

Declaration of an Olympics-Free Zone

Although I follow a few teams and have a general interest in sports, I am not a big fan of the Olympics. In fact, I haven't actually watched the games (winter or summer) since Munich in 1972. There are any number of reasons for this––the horrible events of that year, and the continuing politicization of the Games among them. I never much cared whether we or the dreaded Rooskies won the most medals; I could care less how we do against the now-dreaded Chinese. I also object to the "secular religiosity" of the Olympics and to their overt reliance upon meaningless symbols and empty spectacle.

Worse, in this country at least, is the way the Olympics are broadcast; all those weird "human interest" pieces about Little Tommy's dead gerbil and how the gerbil's brave but losing fight against the urge to chew its own itty bitty legs inspired Tommy to become the captain of the American curling team.

Please.

So, for the duration, I am declaring S@4A.M. an "Olympics-Free Zone" for all who feel as oppressed as I do by the omnipresent, pointless spectacle of the 2008 Summer Games.

There was an article in today's New York Times which suggests that the Chinese literati are also sitting this one out. You can read it here.

11 Comments:

Blogger Gillian Swart said...

I wish I had made such a declaration! I had to flee the house after being subjected to Bob Kostas reminisce monotonously about a previous visit to China ...

9:52 PM  
Blogger erika said...

I can't help it - I love the Olympics! I know that what you're saying is true, and yet, I fall for it every time. I'm an American sucker. I'll think of you when I'm standing on my couch yelling "U-S-A! U-S-A!" while cheering on the national handball team.

11:40 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Gillian:

Bob Costas drives me crazy!

He is the worst of the bunch, and the eay the other commentators adore him (on NBC, ESPN, etc.,) drives me crazy.

Erika:

Please do so.

You wouldn't believe what's up at work!

I will e-mail you the details.

3:40 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

I meant "the WAY the other commentators..."

4:19 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!Olympics! Olympics! Olympics!
Sorry, couldn't resist. Oh, and Olympics!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Talia said...

The one good thing about this year's Olympics is how we are all remindined of how horrible facism is...but apparently not so horrible that we won't let China host the Olympics. Too bad we got it in deep with the Chinese.

Besides, I only like Olympic figure skating and they don't have that in the summer.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Thank you for that. The Olympics are nothing but a Fascist pissing match. -Your daughter.

1:46 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Christina:

Lalalalalalalallalallalalallalallalallalallalalalalallalalallalal
lalalallalallalallalalallalalalalala!

(and repeated, endlessly)

6:26 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Hannah:

Congrats on your job, btw.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Brian Campbell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Brian Campbell said...

Speaking as a Canadian, there's not a lot to cheer about in the Olympics, and without anyone to cheer for watching many of the competitive events is like watching paint dry. Still, I enjoyed this year's women's gymnastics finals (although some of the competitors looked disturbingly young...whatever their supposed ages, you couldn't call them women at all), and some of the swimming.

The opening ceremonies extravaganza reminded me of Ancient Rome, so gigantic and monolithic it was. And there was something at once sinister and comically out of proportion about it: It put me in mind of a multi-million dollar Mafia wedding for a vacuous, good-looking teenage couple.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home