Saturday, July 19, 2008

Working Poet

It has been a wet summer. The downside of this is that the grass grows too quickly. The upside, at least this weekend, is that it rains so much, the grass is too wet to cut. So instead of yard work, I am at work on a longish new poem, and feeling good about the process. It is possible that I will have the ingredients for a full-length manuscript by Labor Day. I don't want to talk about that too much, however, at the risk of writerly paralysis.

Yes, I realize that several days ago I was moaning that I might never write again.

Sigh.

Welcome to my psyche.

This weekend is the motorcycle festival in Muskegon. Tomorrow, there is a competitive hill climb, just down the road from us. So it is pretty much black leather and Harley-Davidsons everywhere I look. I don't mind; I'd much rather have the bikers around than the summer people in their Mercedes and BMWs.

Though they are here, too.

Dinner tonight is salmon with lime and pesto on the grill, Spanish rice, asparagus, and an amusingly pretentious little diet Coke, with key lime pie and coffee for dessert.

Summer is sweet, even when it rains.

1 Comments:

Blogger Macy Swain said...

That Saturday evening meal sounds delicious. I hope it tastes especially sweet after a day of writing. My copy of "On Eloquence" just arrived from Amazon today...I'll let you know what I think.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home