Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Thomas M. Disch (1940-2008)



I was saddened to read in this morning's New York Times of the death (by suicide) of poet, critic and novelist Thomas M. Disch. In the early to mid 90's, Tom Disch wrote a great deal of criticism that appeared in POETRY and elsewhere, and which was collected in The Castle of Indolence: On Poetry, Poets, and Poetasters (Picador USA, 1996). At the time, I remember agreeing with much of what Disch had to say, and loving the (often hilarious) way he said it.

My attitude towards snarky criticism--or my understanding of the difficulty of persevering as a poet--has changed over the years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Every loss is a sad loss, but this one is very sad. Disch knew poetry in a way that I've come to know poetry. Now I need to go back and read him again.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home