Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Trip to Jackson

We drove down to Jackson on Thursday morning. We stopped by my parents' house, picked up some cheesecake and strawberries for a post-reading treat, and then checked into our motel. The reading itself went well; Debby Sears and the entire crew at the Jackson District Library treated us wonderfully. We had a good turn-out (one always hopes for more!) and it was good to see my parents, friends--old and new--and relatives (even my high school Geometry teacher), in the audience. On Friday, I spent the morning at Jackson High School, doing readings and discussing the writing life with several groups of students. My thanks to Jodie McEldowney (Chairperson of the English Department) for setting this up and to the teachers and students at JHS.

The boys had a nice time--it's amazing how much fun can be had jumping on beds in a motel room and playing video games on your father's laptop--and Marcia was happy to be away from her day job.

Here are a few photos:



Me, appearing to drift during the reading Thursday night.



Carlos and Liam, mastering a game on the Macbook Pro.



The boys, crashed out after a day of candy and bed-jumping.



Marcia and Liam. Marcia's immune system isn't quite right yet and she was suffering from a weird bout of Fifth Disease that came on Thursday morning; she soldiered on through the long weekend.



.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Greg, I'm very happy for you that your hometown reading went well. Isn't it amazing how much fun children can have just staying in a hotel? I remember as a kid being so excited just to be somewhere different. Your sons are adorable.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Keith Woodruff said...

Greg, I have Jackson envy. How weird is that? What is Marcia's maiden name? She looks verrrrry familiar. You look very serious in that photo. Were you talking about how poetry saves lives at that moment. ;)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

hmmm... I don't think South Bend was important enough for you to wear a tie...

11:49 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Talia:

I wore a tie at South Bend...didn't I?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

Evidence: http://taliatulledge.blogspot.com/2008/02/good-times-with-greg-rappleye-gang.html

No tie. But you did wear a jacket, so even Steven.

8:44 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Talia:

Well, you've got me.

I know I BROUGHT a tie to South Bend; I just didn't wear it.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home