Saturday, April 05, 2008

Lebowski is my Life Coach


My plan was to wake up early and throw myself into a new project. It didn't work out. I woke up at four, snapped on my computer, clicked on MSNBC, and found that--Hooray!--we had survived another night of the Bush Administration. I took the dogs for a ramble through the yard, and went back to bed.

I finally got up at 9:30, doddered around for a couple of hours and went to the post office. There were three contributor's copies of Prairie Schooner in the box, so I felt like a writer. It was time to celebrate, of course, but a true poet does not rest on his laurels. I cruised over to the discount shoe store and bought a pair of flip flops. I turned on the Tigers at 3:30 and made a pot of spaghetti sauce. The spaghetti was good though the Tigers lost to the White Sox, 8-5.

I spent about an hour after dinner shelving books and rearranging papers on my desk.

I am ready.

Tomorrow I will work like Rilke, but today I am living like the Dude.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen J. Weyant said...

I caught your poems in the latest volume of Prairie Schooner -- great work!

Oh, and I had one of these days today, also.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Adam Deutsch said...

"Obviously you're not a golfer."

4:23 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

As academics, we must seek out ways to be like the Dude more often.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Bernadette Geyer said...

The dude abides!

We all need those kind of days... good for you!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home