Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Future Arrives in a Box, During the Lunch Hour



Carlos has half-days this week so I had to pick him up at school yesterday at 11:30. As luck would have it, the Federal Express guy also stopped by the house during the lunch hour and delivered my new iMac. I spent most of last night getting everything set up to my liking. So far, I am liking very much.



Note: It will surprise no one to learn that I am not the most computer literate of bloggers. Most of the technical stuff is beyond me. In fact, the less I have to know, the better.

First Impressions: The aluminum 24" iMac is fast, quiet, elegant, and brilliantly designed. The set-up process was a breeze; the only glitch was figuring out the location of the serial number for the pre-installed iWorks program--I had it (on the disc envelope, of course), but needed 10 minutes to figure out where it was. I am a bit surprised by how much I like the new wireless keyboard, which no longer has a keypad for data entry, a feature I've never used anyway. The new keyboard is about the size of a birthday card, but they've spaced the keys so you don't actually feel like you're typing on a miniature laptop. The smaller size opens up a lot of room on my desk, so I have the benefit of a much larger screen for my problematic eyes and yet a reduced computer "footprint."

For a writer, I'd say that's close to perfect.

In other good news, it seems that the Leopard operating system (or is it iWorks doing this? I dunno) spell checks automatically in Blogger, so fewer spelling mistakes, I hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Color me green with envy. It is a lovely thing.

I switched to a laptop because I was tired of bulky towers and boxes on my desk. Now the iMacs have eliminated those and I want one.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Talia said...

Can you take the keyboard to the other side of the room and type with it? Of course, why would you want to do that...then you can't see what you're typing...but just curious.

I like a laptop because I live on the couch. Maybe someday I'll have a "room of her own," but until then the laptop is my room.

10:11 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Talia:

Let's see how far away I can be and still have the
keyboard work––our correspondent walks away from the computer with his keyboard––I am about 20 feet away right now.

So, I guess it does.

Greg

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home