Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Few Minutes with Theodore Roethke




I am a poet: I am always hungry.

&

There are so many ways of going to pot as a poet; so many
pitfalls, so many snares and delusions.

&

I used to think of poets as helping one another; as advancing
consciousness together.

&

"You try to tell us in shorthand; we don't even know longhand."
Swallow or strangle is my method.

&

O the enormous folly of words.

&

Move over, sensitive sad minds.

&

Live in a perpetual great astonishment.

-Theodore Roethke, "The Poet's Business: Selected Notebook Entries (1943-1947)" in On Poetry & Craft (Copper Canyon Press, 2001), p. 85.

3 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I love: "Move over sensitive, sad minds."

10:18 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Roethke's Straw for the Fire is one of my favorite books. I love that man's mind.

8:58 AM  
Blogger JforJames said...

Love the Roethke remarks, and I agree with the recommendation of Straw for the Fire. Which escaped my attention till about a year ago.

I populate my blog with with various quotes and ars poetica aphorisms. My newest find is Lucian Blaga.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home