Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake



I was working at my computer this morning and felt the house and my desk shrug a bit, just shifting slightly, as if a large truck had driven by. It turns out that there was an 5.4* earthquake in Indiana (centered very near West Salem, Illinois) which was felt as far north as, well, my house.



No, that's not my house. The photo is from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Looks like one of my dogs on the right, though.

___________________________

*NOTE: Later reports put it at 5.2 on the Richter scale.

4 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I felt it, too! I'm not normally up that early, but sinuses woke me. I stood in the hallway with my coffee cup, talking to Joe as he shaved. He said, "is it me or is the floor moving?" I couldn't feel it (I was on carpet) but I heard the top of the house shake. Incredible!

It seems we have one of these every 10-15 years or so. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in California where they have "real ones."

12:44 PM  
Blogger Jilly said...

I thought I had dreamt that there was an earthquake.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Diane K. Martin said...

Well, you got your earthquake almost right on the anniversary of our 1906 one.







--Diane (who lives in California where they have "real ones."

5:17 PM  
Blogger Jilly said...

The New Madrid fault produced the largest quake in the continental USA. There's a lake here that got created by it.

I'm glad that faultline let off a little steam!

If another big one hits that fault, it will be really bad because there are a lot of oil and gas pipelines that run thru Memphis on their way from the Gulf to the NE USA.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home