Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Ides of March



Caesar:
Who is it in the press that calls on me?
I hear a tongue shriller than all the music
Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.

Soothsayer:
Beware the ides of March.

Caesar:
What man is that?

Brutus:
A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.

Julius Caesar Act 1, scene 2, 15–19

Every year I get involved in judging a local high school writing contest and screening the Hope College entries for the Academy of American Poets Prize. I have on a couple of occasions--not this year--also been one of the judges for the Great Lakes Colleges Association First Book Prize. This is fun and worthwhile work; something I think poets have a duty to do when called upon. Like the obligation I feel to write blurbs; it's an honor to be asked and a small way of giving back to the art.
But it can also add up to a substantial time commitment. I am in the middle of several of those sorts of projects right now, which is a long way of explaining why I haven't been such a dutiful blogger as of late.

Mea culpa.

I had one of my recent broadsides framed and it (along with a couple of my books) will be available for purchase tonight during the annual Walden Green Montessori School Benefit Auction at the Grand Haven Community Center. I can probably buy the broadside back at the Auction more cheaply than I can get another framed, so I will be one of the bidders. Okay, perhaps the only bidder.

The festivities begin at 6 p.m. Hope to see you there. Please don't bid up the broadside just so you can watch me squirm.

I have also been revising the poem I posted earlier in the week, and am pretty happy with the way it turned out. This weekend I will be working on the second poem of the six I've pledged myself to in the Great Poetry Leap Forward. It has been quite a while since I sent anything out, and I only have a few things being published this spring--in Prairie Schooner, The Dunes Review, and the Bellingham Review. Unless something pops up on my radar screen, I probably won't send poems out again until next fall.

I used to feel a great deal of pressure to keep my work in the mail; not so much anymore.

As promised, I will be updating my blogroll later this weekend.

I hope you bloggers and readers in the Atlanta area are all safe.

_________________________________

NOTE: The painting is "The Death of Caesar" (1867) by Jean Leon Gerome.

2 Comments:

Blogger Collin said...

We are cleaning up even as I type this in Atlanta.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Journey_of_Life said...

Hi. Congratulations. I really like your poetry and I want to add you as an Author of my poetry site so you too, will be able to post poems on my blog. If you would like to be added as one of the authors, please notify me at my website in the comments. If you do not wish to, please notify me anyway so I know and I would appreciate it! Thanks! Oh & I remember reading Caesar like Sophomore year I think. What does beware the ides of March mean again? I forgot but those lines you put up made me want to read the Julias Caesar again.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home