Monday, February 11, 2008

Poet in New York, Take 2



Whenever I go to New York, at some point in the trip I ask myself whether I could live and work there. The energy of the city is undeniable and to me, addictive. It is endless fun to speculate about such a life.

It occurred to me to ask the question twice on this last trip--once on Thursday in the early evening, walking down Madison Avenue on my way back to the hotel, energized by our panel, the taillights, the rushing bodies. Then again on Sunday afternoon, walking in the sunlight on 5th Avenue along Central Park, dizzied by art, after spending four hours wandering through the Metropolitan Museum.

There would be many advantages to life in Manhattan--access to bookstores, readings and cultural institutions. Having friends nearby engaged in the the work of artists. Waking in a place where (theoretically, at least) not everyone laughs hysterically when you say you are a poet.

Setting aside the most obvious problem--I could not afford to live my dream-life as a poet in the City--the truth is that New York is too noisy, too important, too frantic a place for me. I was happy to come home last week to the cedars and white pines of Michigan; to the snow, my stars, our dogs.

There is a small life for me here and perhaps a few poems.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen J. Weyant said...

I'm a small town girl myself, so I do understand what you are saying. And actually, here, people don't laugh when I say I'm a poet. They just look baffled.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

I don't think I could even live in South Bend. To me, the 30-45 minute commute is worth it. Yes, everything closes down by 8:00, our schools don't offer karate, ballet, fencing, etc. but we know everyone and if you need some black dirt, you go see the pharmacist--and you know when he's working because he drives the big black truck. That is why I love living here.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I love living here, because I am surrounded by my artist friends and we can paint and write and party together - There is a creative energy whipping through here. In NY there is an endless amount of stories waiting to be picked up and written. But then again, I will be forever insane because of this place, I think. I don't think I can live anywhere else!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Diane K. Martin said...

I dunno. I lived in NY, and it wasn't for me. There were a lot of things to do, but a lot of those things required money we didn't have. It was noisy. I was dirty. What energized some enervated me.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Greg, will you backchannel me when you have a minute? Quick question for you... sfrischkorn at hotmail dot com

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home