Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Carson McCullers!



Happy Birthday to Carson McCullers, born on February 19, 1917, in Columbus, Georgia. Her first (and most well-known) novel, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1940), explores "the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the South."

Her other novels include:

Reflections in a Golden Eye (1941)
The Member of the Wedding (1946)
and
Clock Without Hands (1961)

She also wrote The Ballad of the Sad Cafe (1951), a collection of short stories, which includes the novella The Ballad of the Sad Cafe.

McCullers died on September 29, 1967.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane K. Martin said...

Greg, a couple years ago, I read the most fascinating book that no one else seems to have read -- called February House by Sherrill Tippins --" the story of WH Auden, Carson McCullers, Paul and Jane Bowles, , Benjamin Britten, and Gypsy Rose Lee under one roof in wartime America." Really interesting!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I have read all of her books, but A Member of the Wedding came first for me, and I was about the same age as the protagonist. I can feel the heat of that summer, feel the stickiness of those playing cards in my hands, and never forgot the loneliness and the thirteen-ness of this short novel. An amazing writer. Thanks for reminding me of this novel and this talent.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

Carson is fantastic. I've been to her home in Columbus. It's now a museum and writer's retreat.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home