Saturday, January 05, 2008

This Just In; and a Protest Sent to AWP



I'll bring a few of these along with me to the AWP Conference. The Divisible Field is a 31-page chapbook reprint of poems that appeared in the special anthology issue "A Day's Work Done," Volume XXII, No. 1 of the Legal Studies Forum, a law review published at the West Virginia University College of Law. Professor James R. Elkins is the editor of Legal Studies Forum.

My eternal gratitude to him.

These are beautifully done.

I will have more to say about this issue of Legal Studies Forum.

____________________________

I am very upset that the AWP Conference in New York City has "sold out" (their words, not mine) and that no on-site registration will be allowed. This last-minute change in policy--made with no prior notice to anyone--obviously discriminates against the "paycheck-to-paycheck" writers (like myself), students, and friend's-sofa-sleeping, young, adjunct faculty-types whose attendance is NOT reimbursed by their employer-college.

As I understand it, this means I will not be able to register Marcia on-site as a "spouse" at AWP and will not be able to buy a registration for my daughter (a student at Eugene Lang College/The New School in NYC).

I've e-mailed my protest to AWP and hope you will, too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nin Andrews said...

Ny experience (tho this year may be different) is that you only need to be registered to enter the book-selling part of the event.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

Last year (the first, I think) you needed a badge to get into the panels -- they had security in lobby outside the panel rooms eyeballing everyone, stopping people without badges. Every year the "security checks" get tighter.

Although somebody just told me that AWP said the book fair will be free and open to the public on Saturday.

9:41 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

If they have a different policy than "tough luck," I hope they let everyone know. This is what the notice says on the AWP site:

"SOLD OUT! The 2008 Conference & Bookfair in NYC is sold out. No more passes will be sold. No onsite registration will be available. 7,000 people will be attending the NYC conference. Only pre-registered individuals possessing a registration badge will be admitted into the conference events & bookfair. Thank you for your support."

3:30 AM  
Blogger Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Yes, sucks, bigtime. Now that I'm no longer in academia, I was counting on registering this month. I, too, have arranged transportation & lodging, and hoping to bring my boyfriend, also a writer. I'm thinking about going anyway, for the off-site stuff, and just to hang around in the lobby, which is pretty much what I do anyway.

Anyone have a registration to sell? I need a "I need a miracle!" sign - any old Deadheads?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

I am SO glad I'm not going this year.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home