Thursday, November 01, 2007

Arts & Letters, Issue Eighteen, Fall 2007



I received a copy of the new Arts & Letters in today's mail. This is the issue that contains the poems that won the 2007 Arts & Letters /Rumi Prize in Poetry; the first four published poems from my manuscript-in-progress about the work of the 19th Century American painter Martin Johnson Heade, Tropical Landscape with Ten Hummingbirds. This is a beautiful issue of a great literary magazine. Also contained in Issue Eighteen are Robert Drummond's prize winning short story, poems by Roy Jacobstein and Alan Williamson, an interview with X.J. Kennedy, and translations of the Turkish poet Edip Cansever by Julia and Richard Tillinghast.

I'll be reading with Robert Drummond next Friday night (November 9) in Milledgevile at the campus of Georgia College & State University. If you are in the area, please come!

____________________

The painting is The Blue Morpho Butterfly (1864) by Martin Johnson Heade, from the Manoogian Collection. One of my poems in Arts & Letters, "Studies for The Blue Morpho (1864)" concerns Heade's field work on the painting in Brazil.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian Campbell said...

Good for you!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

I got my copy in the mail yesterday, too. I forgot it was coming. So I opened it to see if I recognized any of the poets and there you were! I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

Congratulations!

8:20 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Brian and Talia:

Thank you!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

Congrats on the win, Greg!

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home