Friday, November 02, 2007

The Arts Council Dinner

I did a short reading (3 poems) tonight at the annual dinner of the Grand Haven Area Arts Council. They also had a singer- song writer perform who I did not know (think Tori Amos), a short scene by a local Shakespeare company, and a talk by a husband and wife who do brass and gravestone rubbings, so it was a disparate and interesting evening.

I've lived in this town for somewhat more than thirty years and it was odd to be doing a reading (however brief) in front of a group of people who I either did not know at all or who I once knew in a radically different life––and as a far different person––twenty years or-so ago.

Not unpleasant, mind you. Just odd.

It's not as if I went away, either; I just stopped talking to people in 1987, and I haven't exactly been on anyone's party list since.

I need to get out more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

Tori Amos?!

4:29 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Well, she reminded me of Tori Amos.

And she sang a Tori Amos song.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Greg,
Your close on this post was funny and made me laugh all the more because I found myself nodding in solidarity. ;-)

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home