Monday, October 01, 2007

Good Reading!

The reading was a great time. We had a good-size audience (many people I did not know) and sold and signed many books. Dan's new book, A Primer on Parallel Lives (Copper Canyon Press, 2007), is a magnificent collection, one you'll want to read and go back to again. My special thanks to the poets and writers who appeared, including Jackie Bartley (and John!), Judith Minty, Jane Ruiter, Hank Meijer, Foley Schuler (who also did the introductions), Jim Straub, the painter Robert Michmerhuizen, and photographer-writer Jeff Cunningham. Special thanks to the Grand Haven Area Arts Council, to Jane from the Bookman and Doug as well, to Lisa Olson and Erika Rosebrook, and, of course, to Marcia.

I also want to thank the students from my poetry class who came to the event, each of whom received "A's" for the evening.

I am very grateful to Dan Gerber for a variety of reasons, not least the fact that had I never met him, I don't think I would have become a poet and writer. Dan set me on a path toward a different (and much happier) life.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

____________________________

On Saturday morning, I went to the memorial service at Christ Community Church for Charlie Misner: bon vivant, great spirit, and long-time fixture at the Bookman in Grand Haven. It was a wonderful, touching service. My heart goes out to Jill and Amy and the good people at the Bookman. We will mourn the loss of Charlie for a long time.

____________________________

Yesterday I went out and threshed the grass for (no matter what happens) the last time this season. Thank God for October, though in a week or two, expect me to be bitching about all the fallen leaves.

And the Detroit Lions beat the Chicago Bears, 37-27. Sorry, Gary.

3 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I'm excited for the Pakcers! I'm happy your reading went well...always good when there are people there who you don't know, I suspect.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I'm also glad the reading went well. Yay!

11:02 AM  
Blogger garylmcdowell said...

Ya know, the Bears didn't play well enough to win. The Lions had an amazing 4th quarter and we did nothing to help ourselves.

Good win for you guys!

I'm saddened, but also shocked by how terrible the Bears have been so far this year. And I don't see it getting better quickly. It's gonna be a long road.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home