Saturday, October 06, 2007

Busy Work 2



I am keeping busy this weekend sending copies of my book off to published-book contests and similar award programs. I also have to get packets off to the good people I've asked to provide letters of support for my various projects, whims and schemes. I know that people like to poke fun at old Walt Whitman for writing his own reviews (and no, I am NOT doing that!) but Walt had at least one aspect of the poetry business right: one must get out and promote one's own work. No one else is going to do it for you, not with the same singularity of interest. Of course, this is what I am worst at. I am not a good networker, am not really a hale-fellow-well-met and I live in such an out-of-the-way place, poetry wise, that it is difficult to make a traceable blip on the literary radar screen.

Yes, the poems themselves are most important. And I would prefer to be writing poems instead of promoting a book, but I do want an audience for my work and do not want Figured Dark to disappear without finding its readership.

So all weekend, my friends, I am doing what needs to be done.

With postage and packaging and fees and copies of the book flying off left and right, it is also not cheap!

Thanks, Walt. Thanks a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home