Monday, September 03, 2007

He's Back!

Despite its many aspects of "Goofy Goes on Vacation," the trip to Rhode Island went well. I enjoyed the time with my son and there is something about delivering your child to college––even an adult child––that is exquisitely bittersweet. Providence is a beautiful city and Elliot is very happy to be there.

I suppose one can learn many things on a road trip. What I learned is that I am too old for road trips. We left Grand Haven on Thursday at 9 A.M., spent the night in Dubois, Pennsylvania (we went out on I-80) and then spent Friday night in Providence. Saturday morning after dropping my son at school, I drove back across Massachusetts and New York on I-90 to Fredonia. Yesterday, I got on the road at 8:00 A.M. and back to Grand Haven at 3:30. The weather was fine and––other than Friday afternoon in Connecticut and the guy who flipped me off in Providence for making an emergency lane change (sorry about that!) the traffic was not a problem.

But I am so tired! While I was driving, there was a great deal of discussion on NPR about the 50th anniversary of the publication of Jack Kerouac' s On the Road. I had to laugh and laugh. Yeah, keep driving, Dean. I'll just be in the back taking a little nap.

Let's not talk about the weekend performances of the Detroit Tigers (bad) or the University of Michigan's football team (far worse). I almost put the Subaru into a ravine outside of Utica when I heard that score.

And Hannah, Happy 21st Birthday!

7 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Welcome home! I love Rhode Island. Someday I would love to own a little cottage by sea....somewhere in Rhode Island. Hey a girl can dream!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Talia said...

Going to college in Providence RI; sounds like fun. Glad you made it home safely. My husband is on his way home from NY today after having visited his family; a 10 hour adventure which I preferred to pass on.

9:22 AM  
Blogger garylmcdowell said...

Isn't that what makes college football so great, though?, that a team like App. State can beat U of Michigan. I love it!!

But I cheer for Northern Illinois University, so I got nothing else to hope for but upsets throughout the year.

And I'm a diehard Cubs fan, so don't complain too much about your Tigers. At least you've been to the World Series a couple times the past 100 years!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Nin Andrews said...

Every time I drive rigor mortis sets in. My feet turn to stone, then my legs . . . My dad's friend used to hire a hearse to take him places. I'm thinking that's not a bad idea . . .

12:59 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I hope you enjoyed your brief drive through the Berkshires (exits 2 and 1 on the pike)!

You had a lovely weekend for a road trip. I'm glad it went well

8:53 PM  
Blogger eisjeff said...

You're never too old for a road trip, it's just the time it takes to take a road trip gets considerably longer at our age. What at 20 took 14 hours now takes three days. The upside is that you actually get to see the country as you travel now because you're not all hyped up on caffeine.

Elliot in Providence. Doesn't that seem a little providential after all he has been through the last few years?

12:29 AM  
Blogger Jilly said...

yeah let us not talk about the Tigers.

Trip sounded fun. I love road trips.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home