Saturday, August 18, 2007

What Work Is, Part 10

To properly research and complete my current manuscript-in-progress, it would be very helpful to have a bit of financial support. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be working on a grant application. What are the chances of getting any money? Well, entirely "zero" if I don't apply, right?

Right.

I am also working on an application to an arts colony. I need time away to write.

_______________________

Last night we went to see "Stardust," the fairy-tale style film by director Matthew Vaughn, based upon the graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess. The cast includes Michelle Pfeiffer as an evil witch, Claire Danes as (literally) a fallen star, Robert De Niro as a pirate who loves to cross-dress in his spare time and Charlie Cox as the questing hero. As improbable as that all sounds, it is a good film, very much worth seeing.

_______________________

I mowed the grass yesterday afternoon; a much larger task than it sounds. Everything once again looks nice, but I am still feeling the effects.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Best luck on the grant and colony apps.

And congrats on the lawn. I wore out my weed whacker yesterday. Completely crashed the battery. That felt good.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Macy Swain said...

Glad you liked Stardust. As you might note from my blog, I disagreed. I coined it "Dopedust," but gave DeNiro's voguing cross-dresser high marks. But then, I've never "gotten" fantasy to start with, and I tire of my students' recurring wishes to write their own fantasy epics which quite often don't make sense, or are stale and painfully cliched. Even though Stardust has a classic pedigree via Neil Gaiman, it felt tiresomely, well, derivative to my eyes.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home