Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Question


I've spent what little time I have for poetry this week on revisions. I gather from reading around the poetry blogs that there is an unresolved question out there about whether putting (even a draft) of your own poem up on a blog is "previous publication" or not. Without taking any position on the issue (I can see both sides, I suppose) does anyone know a good journal or website that will consider work that was previously posted, in draft form, on a blog?

____________________

Not to start another argument, but I say congratulations to Barry Bonds on hitting No. 756. If we kept baseball players out of the Hall of Fame for substance abuse issues, or for not having appealing personalities--which may be Barry's larger problem with a lot of the press and public--the Hall would be half-empty. How many players of Mickey Mantle's generation, for example, abused their bodies with alcohol and thereby "cheated" the game and shortened their careers? How many didn't play up to their full potential on any given day because they were hung-over from the night before?

_____________________

And the Tigers have won two in a row.

7 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I know that Reb Livingston of No Tell Motel is an advocate of "persoanl blogs do not equal published."

http://cacklingjackal.blogspot.com/

http://www.notellmotel.org/

She is up on this subject and I bet she could tell you which camp certain editors are on.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Jilly said...

DIAGRAM will take poems that have appeared on blogs. I love that mag & not just for that reason. :D

yay Tigers (finally)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

By no means a complete list:

http://verylikeawhale.wordpress.com/blog-posted-poems-ok-with-these-mags/

I really believe most magazines don't care -- or are amenable if you take the poem down from your blog.

I have poems that (briefly) appeared on my blog recently published or forthcoming in The American Poetry Review, 32 Poems, Gargoyle, Night Train, Caffeine Destiny, Wildlife Poetry Magazine, MiPOesias -- to name a handful and those range from large circulation print to online to one person diy.

11:10 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Hey:

Thank you everyone!

I appreciate the responses!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Lori Witzel said...

A very random drive-by comment (although I see you link to Tom Montag, one connection we have in common.)

Found you, and (I hope you don't mind) linked to a very tiny excerpt of "A Path Between Houses" -- saw it on www.poets.org.

So if you see one of my twelve or so readers pop by, you'll know from whence they came.

If you do mind, please let me know and I'll find something else to cite, although yours was a sweet fit for a bunch of pixels I caught down near a railroad crossing.

Lots of good things here, so I'll come back by!

6:51 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Lori:

Hey, I am flattered that anyone would quote me for any reason.

Thanks!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Collin said...

Everyone here pretty much covered it. I put rough drafts up for about four or five days then take them down.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home