Monday, August 06, 2007

Monday, Monday...

I have a busy day and a busy week. On Thursday I have to give a speech on protected health information and the mental health code--a subject I actually do know, but I am giving the speech to a group that also knows the topic well, so what I say has to be both interesting and specific. And my oldest two children are coming home this week.

We are very much looking forward to seeing them.

I have to make a road trip to Rhode Island at the end of this month to drop my very-oldest off at culinary school. Yes, it can be done and yes, I am glad he is in school--actually, I am ecstatic--but my best guess is that it will be eighteen hours out and eighteen back and I am getting too old for that stuff.

I wrote a new poem over the weekend. One of those 14-liners that is not quite a sonnet.

5 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

18 hours? I can't do that. My limit is 12, and it had better be to get to some place really nice at that.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Yikes! I know lots of parents who would buy the kid a plane ticket and drive him to the airport. 18 hours is a looooong drive. Take care doing it.

Do you usually write at this pace or is this an unusual time? I'm a little envious at the number of poems you are getting written.

8:15 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Leslie:

I'll break the 18 hours into segments; two days out and possibly two back. If I leave on Thursday morning I have to be back by Monday (Labor Day) afternoon--I have to teach at 4. Yes, Hope College holds class on Labor Day!

Writing-wise, yes, I am on a bit of a tear. I am pushing things a bit because I want to get some poems in the mail and the next manuscript off the ground before my book comes out in September. Between that and classes beginning again in late August, I expect my writing will grind to near halt for several months.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I am not terribly near where you are heading (is it Johnson & Wales?), but close enough for part of the trip. If there are difficulties, you have at least one person in the east you can call on, and I have some dear friends in Providence. If you'd like my contact information, you need only say.

Travel safely; write well.

9:03 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Leslie:

Thank you. I should be okay. At least I'll have my son along on the way out.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home