Sunday, July 29, 2007

Happy Birthday, Stanley Kunitz



Yes, we must celebrate the birthday of one of my favorite poets, Stanley Kunitz, born in Worcester, Massachusetts, on July 29, 1905. Kunitz effectively serve three years as Poet Laureate of the United States, (the first two--1974-1976--as "Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress," the former name of the position) and then as "Poet Laureate" in 2000.

He founded the Provincetown Fine Arts Center and Poets House in NYC. I have many of his books, including this one.



It's just that I have to go to the store and get the papers and mow the grass and...

If Stanley Kunitz, the famous gardner, saw my yard, the inside of my car, my bookshelves, desk... What would he say?

Get to work, I suppose.

Stanley Kunitz died on May 14, 2006. I miss him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I've not read a lot of Kunitz, but I've liked him ever since I saw his "favorite poem project." He reads a Gerard Manley Hopkins poem:

http://www.favoritepoem.org/videos.html

Scroll down and click on his picture.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jilly said...

he did some good rhyming translations of Akhmatova

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home