Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Happy Birthday, Franz Kafka



Franz Kafka was born on July 3, 1883, in the City of Prague, in what is now the Czech Republic. The Judgment (1913), In the Penal Colony (1920), the novella The Metamorphosis (1915), and the unfinished novels The Trial (1925) and The Castle (1926), are among the most important works of modern literature, and gave rise to the adjective "kafkaesque."

Here's something I mutter to myself from time-to-time. Kafka wrote this in a diary entry* for April 20, 1917:

"Bitter, bitter, that is the most important word. How do I intend to solder fragments together into a story that will sweep one along?"

How indeed?

Franz Kafka died of tuberculosis in Kierling, near Vienna, Austria, on June 3, 1924.



-----------------------------

* From The Diaries of Franz Kafka: 1914-1923 (Schocken Books, Inc., 1965), p. 152

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Shields said...

Thanks for the reminder, Greg. I'll have to read "Vor dem Gesetz" or some other short bit today. If I have even less time, I'll read "The Wish To Be A Red Indian."

8:17 AM  
Blogger Talia said...

I always pictured him looking like a bug.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home