Friday, July 06, 2007

Eight Little Things...

Leslie at "Always Winter" tagged me with the "eight things no one knows about me" thing-ee.

Here goes:

1. I was an altar boy when I was young and thought very seriously about becoming a priest. Then I discovered girls. I am now in favor of priests being allowed to marry. And I am in favor of women being allowed to become priests. The Pope, of course, favors neither of these ideas.

2. I might recognize my brothers and sisters if I walked past them in a crowded airport. I probably would not recognize their spouses and I certainly would not know my nieces and nephews. I have never met them.

3. I cannot console myself by saying, "Well, I write better poems than anyone else in my law school class." Lawrence Joseph was in my law school class. But I secretly think it has become (at least) a push.

4. I have probably cleaned more fish--thousands of pounds of fish!--than any moderately well-published poet in America. In the Lower 48, anyway.

5. I was raised in the restaurant business. The only valuable lesson I took from that experience was that I know what work is. I wish that my family--my brothers and sisters and myself--had paid a lesser price to learn this lesson. I also learned how to cook, of course. I am a good cook, and making a nice meal is my response to any emotional crisis.

6. I am a very loyal friend. But when I'm done--when I've been shunned, mis-lead, or lit-up often enough––I am done. There are people I simply will not talk to anymore--as in, pass silently in the grocery store--others I now keep at arm's-length. Yes, it is a character defect. No, I don't think that I am likely to change.

7. I am 1/8 Native American. My mother (who prides herself on being Irish) is 1/4 N.A., but will not admit this.

8. I am quite shy, and in the poetry world that is often taken for arrogance or for being...well, not too bright. I am arrogant enough to be annoyed when certain people draw the second conclusion. I am smart enough to know that what certain people think doesn't matter much.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Not so little!

My in-person shyness takes the form of avoiding conferences and gatherings where I might have to talk to people-- all of whom I know are smarter than I am.

great list.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Talia said...

We have so much in common. I, though Luteran at the time, was an "acolyte." My great-grandfather was also Native American (not sure how much) though he would never admit it. And the shyness thing, I've got it too, and I often hear, "when I first met you I thought you were such a snob...then I got to know you." I've gotten a bit better at it, though. Going to college in my my mid-20's makes me a bit older than my fellow students, and therefore I have a bit more confidence and have learned to speak up, ask questions, introduce myslef, etc.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I was raised in the restuarant industry too. The best part? The food.

Funny, I've always thought that being friendly, outgoing in the poetry world is taken as being not too bright.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I was never an altar boy but I did think about becoming a priest--especially as a scared 11-year-old during the Cuban missile crisis when I thought I might be able to make a deal with God and avoid a nuclear holocaust. And I must admit that being at the recent conference at the very lovely campus of St. Mary's College somewhat reawakened my attraction for a contemplative life.

Never cleaned a fish, though, and plan to keep it that way.

2:24 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Robert:

That sounds like such a good thing!

I wish I had been there.

10:11 AM  
Blogger jenni said...

Interesting list!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home