Saturday, June 09, 2007

Thought for the Day

The art of our century is that of collage, involving quotation, parody, cultural inventory. Collage is by genre and by strategy the art of still life, which begins as a duplication of reality in an image, grows into an enduring depiction of symbolically interacting objects in the service of one sentiment or another, and in our time takes on a new significance as a way of deploying dramatic information (as in the hundreds of still lifes in Ulysses) or as the only way of stating the new enigma of reality that came in with the century.

-from Guy Davenport, Objects on a Table: Harmonious Disarray in Art and Literature (Counterpoint, 1998), p.107

I must get to work on something, but the excitement of the past few days has thrown me off a bit.

I haven't an idea in my head!

The older I get, the more important an uninterrupted writing routine becomes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

That's a great quote. I guess it's kind of obvious when you think about it, but I'd never thought of it before--the connection between collage and still life. I think it suggests something about the limitations of collage. And by the way, congrats on the prize!

11:07 AM  
Blogger robos said...

牙醫,植牙,假牙|矯正|牙周病,牙醫診所植牙,紋身,刺青,創業,批發,TATTOO,皮膚科,痘痘,雷射脈衝光除斑,中醫,腫瘤,腎臟病,僵直性脊椎炎,飛梭雷射,肉毒桿菌,玻尿酸,痘痘,脈衝光,醫美,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,seo,關鍵字行銷,關鍵字自然排序,網路行銷,關鍵字自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,關鍵字廣告,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,網路爆紅,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home