Saturday, June 09, 2007

Here is My Weekend Project

The "first pages" of my book came in the mail today from the University of Arkansas Press. I am not familiar with that term--I would call them "galleys" --but it may be that the Press goes through a couple sets of these.

This is going to be a big (dimension-wise) and beautiful book. The poems look great and the book seems to make "sense" in its current form of organization; it has an organic whole.*

I have to make corrections and have the "first pages" back to the Press by June 22.

I am beginning to think that Yes, it was worth waiting seven years since the Brittingham to get this right.


________________

*Well, uhmm...I think so, anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger C. Dale said...

I LOVE the first pass. A book never seems real to me until I see it set in type. But at the same time, it is that first step toward it being out in the world and out of your control. Still, very exciting.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

When I worked at the publishing house, we did first pages, but the author didn't get to see them--they were for the editorial board's first look, the marketing team (to start planning campaign), the copyeditor.

Second pages incorporated those suggestions, were circulated again, then a clean copy sent to the author as galleys. Unless, of course, there were too many fingers in the pie, too many changes, and then it went to third pages. I suspect this doesn't happen with books of poems. Coffee table books on gardening have a lot more elements to manage.

In any case, congratulations. I'm very excited to read the book when it comes out. I cannot imagine (yet) how exciting it must be to hold a newborn, baby book in your hands. Enjoy!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jilly said...

congrats :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Thank you all for the kind comments and the information.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home