Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Epic Newspaper Crisis of Biblical Proportions

Every day on the way to work, I stop at Starbucks* and buy the New York Times. This week, I haven't been able to buy the paper. Or rather, the New York Times hasn't been available for me--or anyone else--to buy. After work today, I stopped in at our local independent bookstore (where yes, I buy the newspapers on weekends AND all of my books, and where I would gladly buy the NYT every morning, were they only open when I pass by on my way to work) to find out what the problem is.

It seems that the lady who delivered the major daily newspapers (the NYT, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun Times) throughout west Michigan quit in a dispute with her distributor. She flippin' quit! For the time being, there is no New York Times from Grand Haven north to Onekema (a long, long way, for you big city folks), and no prospect of having service restored anytime soon.

Yes, I know the New York Times is available online. No, it is not the same thing as holding the actual paper in your sweet hands and reading it alone--quietly, peacefully alone--in the lunch room at work. This is a major crisis in my cultural life. My brain considers itself to be a resident of the far western suburbs of the City of New York. I am going through withdrawal.

This is a spiritual crisis.

I invoke the newspaper gods of every denomination to solve this crisis at once.


______________________

*Yes, Starbucks. I like their coffee, and the people who work there are nice to me. Not all corporate culture is bad corporate culture. I can even bring myself to say "Venti." Locally, Starbucks has been a good thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Talia said...

I can't like Starbucks coffee. I've tried to many times because of the many, many opportunities that Starbucks presents itself to me. I like McDonald's coffee.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh no! Do you know of anyone who needs a job and can apply to distributor?

I used to mountain bike in El Moro canyon, north of Laguna, and then a friend and I would laze around the local Starbucks drinking Awake tea and eating tea cakes. Then I'd go to Trader Joe's next door and lay in weekend eats, then the farmers market for fresh fruit.

This remains one of my perfect weekend morning agendas. Ever.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Maggie Kate said...

The Grand Haven Starbucks is a nice addition, even if it's islanded in that concrete jungle of a shopping center.

11:45 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Thank you for your comments. McDonald's coffee is better than it used to be.

Maggie Kate: yes, the setting of the Grand Haven Starbucks is a bit ummm...bleak. It's also on the wrong side of US 31 as I am on my way to work--I live in Ferrysburg, north of the lift bridge.

I do wish the Starbucks in GH was larger. There isn't much room to lounge around.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Maggie Kate said...

Yeah. I was in there only on one occasion, having spent the morning digging my car out from a snow drift. There's very little seating, but the people were nice. I'll take it over Jumpin' Java any day. That new coffee place in Spring Lake is pretty civilized, too. And cheap!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home