Friday, May 18, 2007

...And Home Again


We made it home yesterday afternoon. It took slightly over 7 hours to drive from Iowa City, due largely to a major traffic slowdown just west of Chicago. The trip back was otherwise uneventful––the weather cool but sunny all the way.

I had extremely good news on my eyes. My situation is nowhere near as dire as I had believed; in fact, I am at slightly more risk of problems with glaucoma (which is treatable) than I am of problems with macular degeneration. The facilities at the University of Iowa, the doctors I saw, the nurses and the technicians were absolutely first rate. If you have a problem with your eyes, the Carver Family Center for Macular Degeneration at the University of Iowa is definitely the place to go for help.

My thanks to all of you who kept me in your thoughts and prayers.

We also loved Iowa City. Our favorite place--no surprise, I suppose--was the Prairie Lights Bookstore. This is one of the great independent bookstores in America, and because of its location in a college town--and at Iowa, of course, the center of the writing world--the bookstore has a large poetry selection (very strong in contemporary poetry) and a huge selection of contemporary fiction. Upstairs in the cafe is an entire wall of literary reviews and journals. If you are passing through Iowa on I-80, plan on spending the night in Iowa City and stop in at Prairie Lights. You'll find lots of great reading material for the rest of your cross-country trip.

I'll have more to say about the books I bought in the next few days.

Not to coin a phrase, but I feel light a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I'm looking forward to the summer writing season. Come to think of it, I'm looking forward to writing for a long time to come.

12 Comments:

Blogger Keith Woodruff said...

Terrific news, Greg. Welcome back.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Great news!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Great news!!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Yay!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh, how wonderful to hear the news is better, Greg. My mother had severe macular degeneration in her later years and I immediately empathized with your fears and anxiety.

9:28 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Thank you all. It is good to be back.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Whoot!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Andrew Shields said...

Glad to hear the good news about your eyes.

And it's nice to hear about a good bookstore without its being news about its closing.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Good news to have you back in form.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Brian Campbell said...

Great news. I haven't stopped in on your blog for a while... these eyes, at least, are smiling.

8:49 PM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:05 AM  
Blogger greg rappleye said...

Thank you all. It is very good to be back.

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home